Our Commitment to Local Communities and Stakeholders
We recognize the importance of strong local relationships and understand that we must work together to ensure a sustainable and environmentally responsible development.
We acknowledge the importance of being a respected member of the local community.
- Work collaboratively to ensure our activities address environmental and social needs of the local community.
- Seek to create employment opportunities for the local community, supported by skills training and education programs.
- Seek to create a lasting community legacy supported by investing in local community initiatives.
Our commitment to
Canada’s Indigenous Communities
We recognize the protected rights of Indigenous communities and value their unique history and culture. We understand that we must work together with our Indigenous communities to ensure environmental, cultural, and economic sustainability. This understanding is at the core of everything we do.
We respect Indigenous Communities as partners in our development activities. We will:
- Engage to listen, learn and share.
- Work collaboratively to ensure our activities address cultural and environmental needs.
- Work collaboratively toward agreements and practices that provide economic and social benefits.
- Seek to create employment opportunities for Indigenous people, supported by skills training and education programs.
We value the strong relationship between Indigenous Communities and the environment. We will:
- Engage with Indigenous Communities on the environmental assessment process to ensure all Indigenous interests are understood, considered, and included in our assessment.
- Establish co-management and monitoring systems that will ensure the protection of the environment, beyond the life of our activities.
We support the efforts of Indigenous Communities to protect and preserve cultural resources. We will:
- Continue Traditional Land Use and Traditional Ecological Knowledge studies to protect the places of significance to Indigenous Communities.
- Always seek to understand and protect traditional and contemporary Indigenous cultural practices.
- Develop cross-cultural learning opportunities for our employees on the cultural values, knowledge, beliefs, and aspirations of Indigenous Communities.